I picked up this pattern and the fabric in a local charity shop (fabric about $4, pattern about 50c). The fabric is a slightly one-way stretch knit and I love the colour.

 

This isn’t the usual kind of dress I go for but I figured the pattern and the fabric were a fortuitous happenstance and it would probably be quite flattering given the shaping on the sides.

This was a very quick make with just 5 pieces and no notions apart from thread. I made size 18, view A with sleeves and made the hem half way between the longer and shorter versions.

Sewing it up was very fast: staystich the scoops front and back, attach scoops to front and back, attach shoulders, sleeves and side seams. The instructions say to stitch with double stitching, I opted to stitch seams and then topstitch all seams on either side of the seam. This took more time than the actual construction but made for a good finish! Sleeves, neckline and hem are just serged, turned over and stitched. I double stitched these. I finished all edges with serging prior to sewing just to tidy them away.

 

The whole make took about 3-4 hours from start to finish. Apologies for the dorky photos. The neck stands up slightly, but I don’t mind it that way.

The side scoops give it a great shape, it has a nice flare in the skirt. I should have shortened the waist and narrowed the shoulders as I as I normally do, but once again I thought it would be ok and steamed ahead. So the bodice bunches up at the waist but ho hum. I can live with it, but will, change the next version.

It’s a really comfy and pretty dress that I could wear anywhere. I’m really happy with this make and if I find more suitable material in the op shop I’ll definitely give it another go.

Advertisements